Anders and I decided to take our chances last weekend and try some garbanzo beans served out of bucket, one of those big five gallon dry wall buckets that you buy at Home Depot. I have eaten plenty of garbanzo beans atop a green salad or pureed into hummus, but this was my first time consuming them directly from their casing. The beans themselves were pretty ordinary, but served with the dynamic duo of condiments—chile and lime—they were livened up to a pretty tasty treat. We are new converts to the Mexican idea that lime and chile make everything better — sopa azteca, tacos, fruit, and even (although we have yet to try and confirm it) movie theater popcorn.

Last weekend we tried this combo dumped over the top of potato chips. I had been eyeing this treat for quite some time and decided it was time to cross it off of my list. They lived up to all of my expectations of the perfect afternoon snack for strolling around town-salt and spice mixed with a bit of tang. They aren’t a clean snack— your hands are covered in hot sauce by the end of the bag— but the taste is so addictive you want to lick every last bit off of your fingers. They do get a tad soggy by the end of the bag, so if you have a problem with textures you may want to avoid the last few chips, but mostly I was just sad to see an empty bag.
Here is my best guess to how you can make these at home.
Potato chips a la Mexicana
I would suggest using Lightly Salted Kettle brand Chips, but Lays Classic Potato Chips would also work.
Serves 1
2-3 handfuls of potato chips
1 big glug of hot sauce (We used Valentina, but any non-salsa hot sauce will do)
the juice of ½ of a lime
Fill bowl with potato chips. Generously cover with hot sauce and lime juice to taste. If you want, season with salt and then eat immediately.

Sounds delish, Sally! Noelle and I make chili and lime popcorn at home...I say it's a must at the movie theater. I can only imagine how amazing it would taste! Try it and tell...proud of you!
ReplyDeleteChili and lime is also v. tasty on peanuts and pistachios and roasted vegetables (like squash & sweet potatoes). I heart chili & lime (and salt!).
ReplyDeleteoh yeah, also, when I was in Ghana, I found that it was the fresh fruits and vegetables that made me sick b/c they weren't cooked AND they were "washed" in unsafe water. And I got sick more often from restaurants than I did from roadside food.
ReplyDeleteSalsa San Luis and La Sobrosita are the other two signature salsas for this deliciuos treat.
ReplyDeleteI'll stop reading your blog, you just can not imagine the number of cravings that I have.
next on your list should be corn on the cob a la mexicana: mayo + cheese + chili powder + lime = mm mm good!
ReplyDeleteAmber, I think an elote post is a grand idea. I'm on it!
ReplyDeleteLuis, thanks for the insider tip! Any more you could send my way would be most appreciated!
ReplyDeleteYum! Sounds delish!
ReplyDeleteHey! Stop! I think you got me addicted. Someone brought over a bag of chips and I said, "I know, I'll try this chili and citrus thing." (Except I only have lemon and not lime. Well now I'm addicted to them, esp. when combined with cottage cheese.
ReplyDelete