Saturday, November 14, 2009

=5=

Dudes.

So we decided we might be more effective posters if we took on smaller aspects of our days, and look— it’s already working!

Thursday was a special day for me.  I say this because I spent over two hours riding public transportation (read: the shitty-ass bus).  There were some highlights, including a kid who probably should’ve been in school (is that ethnocentric of me?) juggling flaming clubs at a busy stoplight ‘round lunchtime.  Just before the light turned green, he characteristically stopped juggling to go around and collect for the impressive (albeit unsolicited) entertainment, only to find himself utterly stone-walled by the seemingly unimpressed motorists.  Next thing I know,  I'm watching myself sliding back the bus window hollering “JOVEN!” just as a nice fat ten peso piece flips off my thumbnail, arching over the cars of the ingrates before it’s deposited in his hand like the jukebox in “Smooth Criminal.”  He’s down below me, beaming at me, I— the winking white guy in the bus that missed all but the end of the show— who in actuality just sat there wondering if the people ignoring him from their cars were actually taking a stand against his presumably unexcused absence from school; sad to see him walk back to the median with nothing to show for his sacrifice/effort.

In any case, the real reason I doubled my typical daily number of bus rides was to enjoy the two-hour descanso lunch with my sweet, Spanish lessons-taking girlfriend (not to watch an old guy clip his fingernails on the bus, which I got to endure anyhow— clippings flying [I imagined one hitting me in the face or landing on my lip and the foul things I would say to him when it did :\]).  As an aspiring food blogger (you just wait; she’s bound to get started any day now), one of Sally’s faves is a certain New Yorker with a newborn babe who goes by the name of Deb.  Since Deb’s come into our lives, things have certainly gotten better.  Today for lunch this came in the form of eggs in tomato sauce with toasted french bread and sautéed spinach :).  Perhaps a wee bit dull-sounding to read, but to see and to eat: deliciosísmo!

As time on our lunch-hour(s) respite expired and I gathered my things to head back for the final couple of work hours, I kissed my sweet ‘n talented Sally goodbye and prepped my iPod (the screen is starting to go on the old dear) for another 30-40 minute journey (during these bus rides I get to listen to a fair bit of [new] music, which I love, but I think I may save that bit for another post); almost done with another day.

2 comments:

  1. dudes, smitten kitchen is my fave. brent reaps the benefits of my website explorations on a nearly-daily basis.

    ReplyDelete