Mexico. The land that was merely an idea is now staring us in the face. Our four a.m. departure and slight hangovers provided a rough start to our travels, but the ocean view from the taxi window in Vallarta helped put things back into perspective. Life has in its way grown life-sized, providing us with new things to see and do each day, and afternoon rains that rearrange our plans and relieve our guilt of napping and reading. And yet somehow, it becomes easy to forget where we are, and we must remind ourselves to look up at the ocean waving its arms in welcome, reminding us we have arrived in Mexico.Travel is different this time, because instead of seeing new places and taking pictures as an observer, I must ask the question, can this be home? Part of this is freeing, wondering how I will create and define home here, but somewhere else there is a desire to return back to the home I knew. For now, I push away my uncertainties for the gift of time, and focus on my daily to-do list: wake up with the sun, order food, wander until tired, sit in a plaza and people watch, and then learn a few more Spanish words to enhance my limited vocabulary. These activities make up my day, and are what I call home for now. Anders is also home and without knowing it directly, we create a new definition together as we walk the uneven streets and sit on uncomfortable bus rides to new places.
We are unsure where our journey will end, but the impulse to find a place to settle and live amongst a new culture compels us to keep looking and planning and dreaming. Mexico is like an art museum. We circulate its rooms taking in new colors, figures, and settings, and then mash them all together to create a new impression of life where we are inspired and frustrated, but pleased at what we have experienced.
Favorite moments in Puerto Vallarta:
• Swimming in the rainwater pool at our bed and breakfast. This was the only thing that made the intense heat okay.
• Setting the alarm so we would not miss Rita Love’s exquisite breakfasts
• Discovering beaches outside of Vallarta
• Drinking cervesas with every meal and during our afternoon breaks
• Successfully taking buses on day trips and to Guadalajara
• Getting caught in a rainstorm with the rain up to our ankles and then falling asleep to the lightning and thunder
• Hiking to the waterfall in Yelapa with our eight year old tour guide Yuni
So glad to see you are blogging...I like this joint written experience. I look forward to the many more days you and Anders write about the delicious food, the people, and the experiences. Seriously. Thanks.
ReplyDeleteI really like your descriptions, and even as a Mexican in Nebraska I have to say, I would love to be there.
ReplyDeleteYou make me miss all that simplicity of life that you get down there.
For sure I'll keep checking your posts.
Luis